MIEPP News

Dienstag, 04.06.2019 12:04

Seminar Count, Exam Registration, Tons of Jobs and more

Von: FB 03 - Studienbüro

Dear MIEPP Students,

I am back and basically bursting with motivation. To prove it to you, I have an extensive newsletter for you this week. It will consist of:

-          Seminar count

-          Exam registration

-          Jobs

-          Jobs

-          Jobs

-          Info days for international development economics

-          Colloquia

-          Student challenge

So first the seminars. Similar to last semester, we would like to have a basic idea of how many of you are planning to take a seminar in the coming semester. As it is always a little hard for us to know how many of you are planning to take a seminar in the coming semester, it is thus hard to find a good amount of seminars to offer. In order to alleviate some of this issue, I would like all of you who are planning to take a seminar in the coming semester to send me an email, indicating that you want to take a seminar (or two). This is not the seminar registration; this is to get an overview on how many seminars should be offered. Of course, if you do not send an email now, you will not be excluded from the seminars later, but the close we get to estimating the number of seminar interests, the better we can cater to your needs.

So please:

Sent an email to MIEPP(at)uni-mainz.de and simply put seminar as the subject or into the email and I will count you. The deadline to write the email is June 24. If many of you indicate that you want to take a seminar there should be one or two extra seminars added to the planned number. Thank you for your support in that matter.

Secondly, as a public service announcement, exam registration will start on Monday, June 11 at 1 pm. and end Monday June 24 at 1 pm. I will write you another reminder next week but just so you simply cannot miss signing up for your exams, you get a reminder this week already.

Now for all of those jobs, (I will keep this brief in order to not be overwhelming):

University Passau is looking for doctoral students in International Economics (more infos attached)

Several universities (University of Duisburg-Essen, the Ruhr- University Bochum and the Technical University Dortmund) are opening a research group for “Regional Disparities and Economic Policy” as part of doctoral studies (more infos attached).

The DLR (Deutsches Zentrum für Luft und Raumfahrt) is looking for economists (https://www.dlr.de/dlr/jobs/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-10596/1003_read-33604/)

For everyone interested in development economics, the Humbold University in Berlin is holding info days for postgraduate studies. (more information as always attached)

Now the colloquia:

On Wednesday, June 12, 2019, the following MIEPP research colloquia will take place at the chair of International Economics (Prof. Philipp Harms).

The research colloquia will take place in the room “Software-Labor (01-115)”, Recht und Wirtschaft II:

Time

Students Surname

Students
First name

Topic

9.00-9.45

Lederer

Elisa

How to measure regulations?

9.45-10.30

Dambmann

Lena

Are we greening Europe by offshoring carbon-intensive production to China?

10.30-11.15

Hammade

Mohamad Fawaz

How will the Chinese "Belt & Road Initiative" affect developing and emerging economies?

11.15-
12.00

Velten

Regina Coeli

How will Brexit affect the "BRICS" countries?

12.00-12.45

Morrison

Samuel

What determines Food Prices in Sub-Saharan Africa?

13.45-14.30

Engelhardt

Alexander

(How) does sovereign default affect economic performance? A disaggregate perspective

14.30-15.15

Miclaus

Bianca Lucia

How does globalization affect women's role in the labor market?

15.15-16.00

Islam

Md Rafiqul

Does access to the internet have an impact on individuals' attitudes towards globalization?

16.00-16.45

Sauer

Florian

Has the Phillips curve relationship weakened - and if so, why?

While only members of the committee are allowed to actively participate in the discussion, all interested students are invited to attend the presentations.

Last but not least, the chair of Technology Innovation Sociology and Simulation Methods (Technik-und Innovationssoziologie, Simulationsmethoden) at the JGU Mainz is holding a student competition. The focus is to develop a concept to reduce air pollution in urban areas. Students of all disciplines are welcome to participate (more infos attached again).

Now after reading this humungous newsletter, go outside catch some sun and enjoy the summer before exam time starts and you start feeling like cavemen again. (don’t worry, exam time is still a ways away)

Sincerely,

Christoph Wirp

Christoph Wirp
Program Manager Master in International Economics and Public Policy

Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
Studienbüro des Fachbereichs Rechts- und Wirtschaftswissenschaften

Jakob-Welder-Weg 4
55128 Mainz

Zimmer 01/321
Telefon: +49 6131 / 39 - 23099

E-Mail: MIEPP AT uni-mainz.de

http://www.master.economics.uni-mainz.de/index.php

Sprechzeiten: Dienstag 14-16 Uhr

                  Donnerstag 9-12 Uhr

Öffnungszeiten Info- und Servicebüro: Montag bis Freitag 9-12 Uhr sowie Dienstag und Mittwoch 14-16 Uhr

JGU

Anhänge:

Link Infotag SLE_Einladung.pdf

Link Create better cities_students challenge (002).pdf

Link CfA Economics PhD Positions RTG Regional Disparities_.pdf

Link 2019_10_WM_Prof_Krautheim.pdf